Professor, School of Dentistry, Department of Preventive & Restorative Dental Sciences, UCSF
John C. Greene Endowed Chair of Primary Care Dentistry
Phone: (415) 502-8094
Fax: (415) 502-8447
I have more than 25 years of prior work in research, study design, statistical analysis, and data interpretation. I serve as Mentoring Facilitator for research faculty in my department and as an Assistant Director of the UCSF CTSI Mentor Development Program to give midcareer faculty knowledge and skills to succeed as mentors. My research concentrates on health disparities research, randomized disease prevention trials, applied statistical analyses, and related methodological issues, focusing mostly on clinic to community translational research (T2/T3) studies. Since October 2012, I have been directing (PI) the NIH funded $24M UCSF Center to Address Disparities in Children’s Oral Health (CAN-DO). In the first 4 years of these 7 years of renewed funding, I directed the $10M Data Coordinating Center (DCC), overseeing statisticians and programmers in the NIDCR-initiated, expanded role of the DCC to coordinate trials (including 2 group randomized trials) at Boston Univ and Univ Colorado Denver (Health Sciences Campus) in addition to UCSF. In September 2015, NIH/NIDCR awarded our team over $20M for a U01 coordinating center for 9 children’s oral health disparity research projects nationwide including our 2 UH2/UH3 projects. For collaborative clinical research projects, I have designed research studies, developed and performed analyses and coauthored publications disseminating our findings. I have the appropriate training, expertise and experience to serve as a faculty mentor for the T32 training program and am dedicated to providing career and research mentoring to trainees.
Professional Honors and Awards:
- 1989 National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Trainee (1989-1992)
- 1991 Consulting Award, Univ of North Carolina School of Public Health Alumni Assn 1993 US Public Health Service Trainee (1993-1994)
- 1994 Travel Award, Univ of North Carolina Graduate School
- 2013 Delta Omega Alumni Award, Univ of N Carolina, School of Public Health, Dept of Biostatistics
- 2013 Omicron Kappa Upsilon (National Dental Honor Society), Faculty Inductee, UCSF
- 2013 Pierre Fauchard Academy (International), Northern California Section, Faculty Recognition Award
- 2015 UCSF Academic Senate Distinction in Mentoring Award (senior faculty member)
- 1996 Koch GG, Gansky SA. Statistical considerations for multiplicity in confirmatory protocols. Drug Info J 30:523-533. [more than 100 citations per Google Scholar]
- 2009 Gansky SA, Neuhaus JM: Missing Data and Informative Cluster Size. In: Lesaffre E, Feine J, Leroux B, Declerk D (eds.). Statistical and Methodological Aspects of Oral Health Research, Wiley, pp 241-257.
- 2011 Gansky SA, Cheng NF, Koch GG. Dose-weighted adjusted Mantel-Haenszel tests for numeric scaled strata in a randomized trial. Stat Biopharm Res 3(2):266-275. PMC3119560
- 2013 Lazar AA, Gansky SA, Halstead DD, Slajs A, Weintraub JA. Improving patient care using the Johnson-Neyman analysis of heterogeneity of treatment effects according to individuals’ baseline characteristics. J Dent Oral Craniofac Epidemiol. 1(3):19-33. PMC4335806
- 1994 Watkins EL, Harlan C, Eng E, Gansky SA, Gehan D, Larson K . Assessing the effectiveness of lay health advisors with migrant farmworkers. Family & Community Health: Journal Health Promotion& Maintenance. 16(4):72-87.
- 2008 Ramos-Gomez F, Chung LH, Beristain R, Santo W, Jue B, Weintraub JA, Gansky SA: Recruiting and retaining pregnant women from a community health center at the U.S.-Mexico border for the Mothers and Youth Access (MAYA) clinical trial. Clinical Trials 5(4): 336-46. PMC4238942
- 2010 Weintraub JA, Prakash P, Shain SG, Laccabue M, Gansky SA: Mothers caries increases odds of children's caries. J Dent Res 89(9): 954-8. PMC3327504.
- 2014 Tiwari T, Casciello A, Gansky SA, Henshaw M, Ramos-Gomez F, Rasmussen M, Garcia RI, Albino J, Batliner TS. Recruitment for health disparities preventive intervention trials: the early childhood caries collaborating centers. Prev Chronic Dis. 11:E133. PMC1508806
- 2007 Fisher-Owens S, Gansky SA, Platt LJ, Weintraub JA, Soobader M, Bramlett MD, NewacheckP. Influences on children's oral health: A conceptual model. Pediatrics.120(3): e510-20. [more than 200 citations per Google Scholar]
- 2008 Cheng NF, Han PZ, Gansky SA: Methods and software for estimating health disparities: The case of children's oral health. Am J Epidemiol 168(8):906-14. PMC2597673
- 2008 Isong U, Gansky SA, Plesh O:Temporomandibularjoint and muscle disorder type-pain in US adults: The National Health Interview Survey (NHIS).J Orofacial Pain 22(4):317-22. PMC4357589
- 2012 Isong IA, Soobader MJ, Fisher-Owens SA, Weintraub JA, Gansky SA, Platt LJ, Newacheck PW. Racial Disparity Trends in Children's Dental Visits: US National Health Interview Survey, 1964-2010. Pediatrics 130(2):306-14. PMC3408679
- 2007 Ha AT, Gansky SA: HIPAA Notices of Privacy Practices (NPPs) in US dental schools: Readability or lack thereof. J Dent Ed 71(3):419-429.
- 2011 Barton J, Trupin L, Schillinger D, Gansky SA, Tonner C, Margaretten M, Chernitskiy V, Graf J, Imboden J, Yelin E: Racial and ethnic disparities in disease activity and function among persons with rheumatoid arthritis from university-affiliated clinics Arthrit Care Res 63(9):1238-46. PMC3169768.
- 2011 Mejia GC, Weintraub JA, Han PZ, Phipps K, Grossman W, Cheng NF, Gansky SA: Language and literacy relate to lack of children's dental sealant use. Commun Dent Oral Epidemiol.39(4):318-24. PMC3136547
- 2012 Garrett GM, Citi AM, Gansky SA. Parental functional health literacy relates to skip pattern questionnaire error and to child oral health. J Calif Dent Assoc. May; 40(5):423-30. PMC22685950
- 2006 Weintraub JA, Ramos-Gomez F, Jue B, Shain S, Hoover CI, Featherstone JDB, Gansky SA. Fluoride varnish efficacy in preventing early childhood caries. J Dent Res 85:172-176. PMC2257982 [more than 200 citations per Google Scholar]
- 2012 Featherstone JD, White JM, Hoover CI, Rapozo-Hilo M, Weintraub JA, Wilson RS, Zhan L, Gansky SA. A randomized clinical trial of anticaries therapies targeted according to risk assessment (caries management by risk assessment). Caries Res 46(2):118-29. PMC3362266
- 2012 Ramos-Gomez F, Gansky SA, Featherstone JDB, Jue B, Gonzalez-Beristain R, Santo W, Martinez E, Weintraub JA: Mother and youth access (MAYA) maternal chlorhexidine, counseling, and pediatric fluoride varnish randomized clinical trial to prevent early childhood caries. Int J Paediatr Dent 22(3): 169-79. PMC3277669
- 2014 Chaffee BW, Gansky SA, Weintraub JA, Featherstone JD, Ramos-Gomez FJ. Maternal oral bacterial levels predict early childhood caries development. J Dent Res. 93(3):238-44. PMC3929977