Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, UCSF
Executive VIce-Chair, Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute, UCSF
Director, Sleep Research Program, UCSF; Mood Disorders Program, UCSF
Ray and Dagmar Dolby Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, UCSF
Phone: (415) 476-7702
Email: [email protected]
I have extensive experience working with patients with mood disorders both clinically and in research studies that will be a key asset to the proposed effort, as well as nearly 30 years of experiencing treating patients with mood disorders. I also carried out fundamental work on the personalization of therapies for the treatment of patients with mood disorders and the development of novel therapies for these conditions (See C.2 below). This work includes: identifying EEG indices that can be used to improve the clinical dosing of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for patients with treatment-resistant depression; carrying out pivotal trials of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) as a treatment for major depression; carrying out a pivotal trial of the antidepressant effects of transcranial direct current therapy (tDCS); completing trials evaluating whether cognitive behavioral therapy and pharmacotherapy for insomnia augment the antidepressant response to SSRI and SNRI medications; completing studies developing physiologic biomarkers that are predictors and correlates of the response to the rapidly acting antidepressant ketamine, and cognitive behavioral therapy in depressed patients; serving as overall PI of the NIMH Contract “New Experimental Medicine Studies: Fast-Fail Trials in Mood and Anxiety Spectrum Disorders (FAST-MAS)”, where I lead a multi-site team in carrying out trials of promising new therapies for mood and anxiety spectrum disorders using novel neuroscience-based early phase methodologies.
Professional Honors and Awards:
- 1990 Outstanding Young Psychiatric Investigator Award. Upjohn Corporation.
- 1991 Laughlin Fellowship for Outstanding Leadership & Achievement. American College of Psychiatry.
- 1993-1995 Young Investigator Award, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression.
- 1997-1999 Young Investigator Award, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression
- 1999 Outstanding Statistical Application Award. American Statistical Association.
- 2002-2003 Teacher of the Year, Department of Psychiatry. Duke University Medical Center
- 2007-2008 American Psychiatric Association Research Mentorship Award
- Krystal AD, Walsh JK, Laska E et al. Sustained efficacy of eszopiclone over 6 months of nightly treatment: A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study in adults with chronic insomnia. SLEEP. 2003;26:793-799 Pubmed PMID: 14655910.
- Krystal AD, Erman M, Zammit GK, Soubrane C, Roth T. Long-Term Efficacy and Safety of Zolpidem Extended-Release 12.5 mg, Administered 3 to 7 Nights Per Week for 24 weeks, in Patients With Chronic Primary Insomnia: A 6-Month, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Multicenter Study. SLEEP. 2008;31(1):79-90. PMID: 18220081
- Krystal AD, Richelson E, Roth T. Review of the histamine system and the clinical effects of H(1) antagonists: Basis for a new model for understanding the effects of insomnia medications. Sleep Med Rev. 2013;;17(4):263-72.PMID:23357028
- Michelson D, Snyder E, Paradis E, Chengan-Liu, Snavely DB, Hutzelmann J, Walsh JK, Krystal AD, Benca RM, Cohn M, Lines C, Roth T, Herring WJ. Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy of Suvorexant, an Orexin Receptor Antagonist, During 1-Year Treatment of Insomnia followed by Abrupt Discontinuation of Treatment: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Lancet Neurology. 2014;13(5):461-71. PMID: 24680372
- Krystal, A.D., Weiner, R.D., Coffey, C.E. The ictal EEG as a marker of adequate stimulus intensity with unilateral ECT. J. Neuropsychiatry and Clin. Neurosciences 7:295-303, 1995.
- Krystal, A.D., Weiner, R.D., Lindahl, V., Massie, R. The development and retrospective testing of an EEG seizure-quality based stimulus dosing paradigm with ECT. The Journal of ECT. 16:338-349, 2000.
- Lisanby SH, Husain MM, Rosenquist P, Maixner D, Gutierrez R, Krystal A, Gilmer W, Marangell L, Aaronson S, Daskalakis J, Canterbury R, Richelson E, Sackeim HA, George MS. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) in the Acute Treatment of Major Depression: Clinical Predictors of Outcome in a Multisite, Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009 Jan;34(2):522-34
- Fava M, McCall WV, Krystal A, Rubens R, Caron J, Wessel T, Amato T, Roth T. Eszopiclone Co- administered With Fluoxetine in Patents with Insomnia Co-existing with Major Depressive Disorder. Biological Psychiatry. 2006;59:1052-1060.
- Krystal AD, Edinger JE, Wohlgemuth WK, Marsh G. Non-REM sleep EEG frequency spectral correlates of sleep complaints in primary insomnia subtypes. SLEEP. 2002;25:630-640.
- Krystal AD. Non-REM Sleep EEG Spectral Analysis in Insomnia. Psych Annals. 2008;38(9):24-36.
- Krystal AD, Edinger JD. Measuring Sleep Quality. Sleep Med. 2008 Sep;9 Suppl 1:S10-7.
- Krystal AD, Edinger JD. Sleep EEG predictors and correlates of the response to cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. SLEEP. 2010;33(5):669-77.